Data Protection Privacy Notice: for Patients of this Practice
In providing your dental care and treatment, we will ask for information about you and your health. We know that you value your privacy and the security of personal information held about you. This privacy notice describes the type of personal information we hold, why we hold it and what we do with it.
On behalf of Penny Wiles Dental Practice, Penny Wiles is responsible for keeping secure the information about you that we hold. Those at the practice who have access to your information include dental professionals involved with your care and treatment, and the reception staff responsible for the management and administration of the practice.
Information that we hold:
Personal details such as your name, date of birth, address, telephone numbers and email address. This information allows us to fulfil our contract with you to provide appointments. We will also use the information to send you reminders and recall appointments as we have a legitimate interest to ensure your continuing care and to make you aware of our services.
- Clinical records made by dental professionals involved with your care and treatment
- X-rays, clinical photographs and study models
- Medical and dental histories, including medications you are taking
- Diagnoses, treatment plans and consent
- Notes of conversations with you about your care
- Dates of your appointments
- Details of any complaints you have made and how these complaints were dealt with
- Correspondence with you or with other health professionals or institutions
We collect and use this information to allow us to fulfil our contract with you to discuss your treatment options and provide dental care that meets your needs. We also use this information for the legitimate interest of ensuring the quality of the treatment we provide.
We hold information about the fees we have charged you, the amounts you have paid and some payment details. This information forms part of our contractual obligation to you to provide dental care and allows us to meet legal financial requirements.
Penny Wiles is responsible for keeping secure the information about you that we hold.
Those at the practice who have access to your information include the dentist, the dental hygienist, dental nurses involved with your care and treatment and the reception staff responsible for the management and administration of the practice.
Why and how we use your information:
We aim to provide you with the highest quality of dental care. To do this we need to keep up-to-date and accurate records about you, your health and the care we have provided or plan to provide for you. We will seek your preference for how we contact you about your dental care. Our usual methods are telephone, email or letter.
If you are a member of Denplan or wish to become a member we will share your information with Denplan in connection with your dental treatment.
We may contact you to conduct patient surveys or to find out if you are happy with the treatment you received for quality control purposes.
We will seek your preference for how we contact you about your dental care. Our usual methods are telephone, email or letter.
If we wish to use your information for dental research or dental education, we will discuss this with you and seek your consent. We will anonymise your information. If this is not possible we will inform you and discuss your options.
Your information is normally used only by those working at the practice but there may be instances where we need to share it – for example, with:
- Your doctor
- A specialist you may be referred to
- The hospital or community dental services or other health professionals caring for you
- Private dental schemes of which you might be a member i.e. Denplan.
- Debt collection agencies
- Dental laboratories
The information held about you will not be shared for any reason, unless:
- You ask us to do so
- We ask and you give us specific permission
- We are required by a court order
- Required by law, we may need to disclose your information to a third party not connected with your health care, including law enforcement or government agencies i.e. the CQC.
Anyone who receives information from us also has a legal duty to keep this information confidential.
We will only disclose your information on a need-to-know basis and will limit any information that we share to the minimum necessary.
Please be reassured that we have no intention of carrying out marketing of products to you using your contact details or passing your details on to a third party for marketing purposes.
Keeping your information safe:
We store your personal information securely in a manual filing system and your digital x-rays on our practice computer system. Your information cannot be accessed by those who do not work at the practice; only those working at the practice have access to your information. The staff at the practice have received training in data protection and understand their legal responsibility to maintain confidentiality and follow Practice procedures to ensure this.
We take precautions to ensure security of the practice premises, the practice filing systems and computers. We use high-quality specialist dental software to record and use your digital x-rays safely and effectively. Our computer system has a secure audit trail and we back-up information routinely.
We will keep your records for 10 years after the date of your last visit to the Practice or until you reach the age of 25 years, whichever is the longer. Records are disposed of by shredding when the retention period is reached.
Access to your information and other rights
You have a right to access the information that we hold about you and to receive a copy. We do not usually charge you for copies of your information; if we pass on a charge, we will explain the reasons.
You can also request us to:
- Correct any information that you believe is inaccurate or incomplete. If we have disclosed that information to a third party, we will let them know about the change
- Erase information we hold although you should be aware that, for legal reasons, we may be unable to erase certain information (for example, information about your dental treatment)
- Stop using your information – for example, sending you reminders for appointments or information about our service
- Stop using information if you believe the information is inaccurate or you believe we are using your information illegally.
- Supply your information electronically to another dentist.
All requests should be made in writing or by email to Penny Wiles, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not agree
If you do not wish us to use your personal information as described, you should discuss the matter with Penny. If you object to the way that we collect and use your information, we may not be able to continue to provide your dental care.
If you have any concerns about how we use your information and you do not feel able to discuss it with Penny or anyone at the practice, you should contact:The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF
Tel: 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745.
Further information is available at: www.ico.gov.uk